Juicy Salmon Burger
Serves – 6
Preparation/Cooking Time – 90 minutes
• 3-4 skinless, boneless fresh salmon fillets
• 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
• ½ white onion peeled and cut into chunks
• ½ cup coarse bread crumbs
• 1 tablespoon capers (drained
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 2 large finely chopped cloves
• 8 -10 fresh basil leaves
• 1 whisked egg (optional)
• 1 tsp all purpose liquid seasoning or 1/2 vegetable stock jelly
• Juice of half a lime
• Frying oil
1. Cut the salmon into large chunks, and put about a quarter of it into a food processor, along with the mustard. Turn the machine on, and let it run — stopping to scrape down the sides if necessary — until the mixture becomes mince like in texture.
2. Add the onions and the remaining salmon, and pulse the machine on and off until the fish is chopped and well combined with the mince. be careful not make the mixture too fine.
3. Scrape the mixture into a bowl, and by hand, stir in the bread crumbs, capers (whisked egg) and some salt and pepper. Shape into burgers using flour dusted on your hand to prevent it from sticking. ( Cover and refrigerate the burgers for a few hours.)
4. Place the oil in a frying pan (1/4 inch of oil), and turn the heat to medium-high.
5. When the oil is hot, cook the burgers for 2 to 3 minutes a side, turning once. Alternatively, you can grill them: let them firm up on the first side, grilling about 4 minutes, before turning over and finishing for just another minute or two. To check for doneness, make a small cut and peek inside. Be careful not to overcook.
6. Serve on a bed of greens, on buns or by themselves.